I always enjoy going back to California, my home state. In fact, for a short while, we lived in an old house on fourth street, right across the street from San Jose State University -- Alabama football's opening day opponents in September... I don't remember San Jose even having a football team...but the local story is they were guaranteed at least one million dollars to travel to Tuscaloosa and play against Alabama at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
But this is not a football trip. For me, it's all about the food. Within a few miles of my parents' home are more eateries and places to buy food than I can count in all of Tuscaloosa. What am I looking forward to?
- No chance of a deep freeze or snow - I can wear a sweater and not be cold. (I even left my gloves at home.)
- Real Mexican fast food. Not Taco Bell or Taco Casa. Fish tacos with fresh salsa. On soft corn tortillas, without asking. Yum!
- Seattle's Best and Peet's Coffee (except for Alabama Blues Blend at Mary's Cakes, Starbuck's is about the only choice in Tuscaloosa.
- More than one Chico's.
- Indian food, and the Indian grocery store.
- Good Chinese food. Dim Sum in a restaurant where the majority of the customers don't speak English.
- Alcohol, ON SALE, at the grocery store (I probably won't buy any, but I WILL smile at the possibility).
- Whole Foods AND Trader Joe's AND Cosentino's, within five miles of home.
- Sur La Table AND Williams-Sonoma AND Nordstrom Rack, with sales...
All this will eventually get old and I will miss not having to stand in line or wait in traffic...and everyone waving and saying "hey." But that's at least a week away...