Memories of your wedding day may fade or be selective, but then there are the photos. Of you... of your guests... of your cake...
Here are some cake photo tips.
First, step back from the area where you plan to set up the cake. Picture yourself there. Do you like what you see?
- Is the wall behind you attractive?
- Do you see a fire hydrant or "Exit" sign?
- Are you squinting into the light from the window?
- Is there a large trash can behind you?
- How about a light switch or electric outlet?
Now picture the table the cake will be on...
- Is it large enough for the cake stand?
- Do you plan to put anything other than the cake on the table? Toasting flutes? Cake server? Flowers? Photographs?
- Is there anything you do NOT want on the table? Stacks of plates? Plain white bar napkins? Plastic forks?
Now make a list for your baker and caterer and florist or decorator.
Caterer or decorator: Please do not place any stacks of plates on the cake table, directly next to it, or behind it, or anywhere they will appear in the photos of the bride and groom cutting the cake. Please place the plates on rolling tables or bring them out after the photos are taken. Ditto for napkins and forks.
Baker and florist: You are the last ones to see my cake table before the reception. Please be sure any flower stems, petals, bits of icing, boxes, wrapping paper or other unattractive "stuff" is cleared from the table before you leave. Also be sure there are no water stains on the tablecloth, that the flutes are taken out of the boxes and the price tags are removed. Position the cake knife and server in front of the cake and wipe any spots or finger prints off. Put any extra boxes for the cake, topper and cake server under the table, so they are hidden by the tablecloth. You also have my permission to reposition anything on the table so that it showcases the cake and our cake photos are not overpowered by bowls of nuts and platters of cheese straws.
Thank you for making my wedding perfect and I apologize for having to remind you of things you were probably already going to do anyway.