- How to Assure Jellying. If jelly will not jell add one-half level teaspoon of pulverized alum to 5 or 6 quarts of jelly and boil a few minutes more. The jelly will then jell.
- How to Prevent Mold in Jelly. If circles of tissue paper the size of the tops of jelly glasses are dipped in vinegar and placed on the top of the marmalade or jam, they will not mold. Cover the jam in the usual way.
- Fudge Boiling Over. If butter is rubbed around the top of the pan when fudge is being made, it will not boil over.
- Creaming Butter and Sugar. When creaming butter and sugar for a cake, a little hot milk added will aid in the creaming process.
- Don't Scrape the Sides of the Pan When Making Candy. Never scrape the sides of the pan when making candy and do not stir what has been cooked on the sides down into the cooking candy.
- Put Sugar on Pie Crust Before Filling. Sprinkle GODCHAUX GRANULATED SUGAR over the lower crust of a two-crust pie before adding the filling. The sugar will aid in preventing a soggy crust. Egg white, unbeaten, also may be brushed over the crust to aid in the prevention of a soggy pie.
- Sprinkle Sponge Cake with Fine Sugar. Before placing sponge cake in the oven to bake, try sprinkling a little of GODCHAUX CONFECTIONERS' SUGAR over the top. This forms the rich brown-looking crust that makes sponge cake so tempting.
- Cucumber Skin Repels Ants. If you are troubled with ants coming into the house, put the skin of a cucumber where they are found and the ants will soon disappear.
So there you go... There are hundreds more household tips where these came from and I'll share when they are applicable.